Friday, March 18, 2005

vent

I have to complain about this woman who works at one of my elementary schools. She's nice and tries really hard, but I just find her so irritating! She's always trying to engage me in lively conversation and have me help her with her English, but between classes I just need to decompress. Especially since I go to that school on Friday afternoons and I'm usually exhausted.

Then she comes to almost every class with me. I'm not sure why. I guess it's her job to help me, but it's totally counterproductive because her English is AWFUL but she insists on repeating every word after me, very loudly, which must be very confusing to the students.

Today I was trying to teach them to say the "th" sound, and it was practically impossible with her shouting "sursday" or "tursday" after everytime I said "thursday".
Oh, and she continues to tell the students (after I've corrected her before) to call me "Ashley teacher", which may be the literal translation of "Ashley sensei", but is not how we address teachers in America!

These kids are starting young, and they may have a shot at being good at English if she would just butt out!!

I need a vacation. But it's a long weekend and I leave for Shanghai tomorrow AM!

And since schools here are starting spring break soon, I don't go back to elementary schools till mid April. That'll be a nice break. They can be fun, but so draining and frustrating at times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home