Tuesday, July 19, 2005

the convenience store ("conbini") a block from my apt


KIF_2431
Originally uploaded by abnihon.

Lately I've been thinking about what little things I may actually miss from my daily life here in Japan. I like the onsen in my town, but it's not like I go all the time. I may miss the 24-hour convenience stores that are ALL over Japan, vending machines serving a selection of hot and cold drinks, the 100 yen store (equal to a $1 store), or the Takeo public library where I can take out any Japanese book or magazine for free.

But in NY, I can always go to Kinokuniya,( the Japanese bookstore), get pretty much any Japanese food I want, and even go to Japanese style karaoke. And there are always Japanese cultural events going on at the Japan Society and Asia Society. So I can still live a little bit of Japan, while living the life I want, in NY, and with my friends and family.

And honestly I'm so excited to go home, that the idea of actually missing anything about Takeo or Japan seems impossible. Well we'll see how I feel after being home a few months. Ever since my first trip to Japan years ago, I always felt a longing to go back, learn more about it, or be surrounded by Japanese things. I wonder if this year has killed that longing. Or if it will come back after I'm home for awhile.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on being done with teaching and coming home soon! i hope you make it out to chicago for homecoming and that you'll keep in touch. later.
~kels

12:10 PM  
Blogger Cinnacism said...

Conbinis!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home