Tuesday, April 05, 2005

update on my life in Takeo

I went to the tea ceremony club again last night. Turns out the lessons aren't actually free - they cost $30 a month. But that's ok. Now that I've paid in advance I'll have more motivation to actually go every week.
The tea ceremony is so complicated! All I did last night was learn how to fold the cloth used to clean the tools. I didn't even touch the tea. I'm not sure how much I'll actually learn in 3 months. But it's still interesting.
In June there's some big tea ceremony thing in town and I think they're gonna dress me in a kimono and I'm gonna help serve tea, like a waitress. Fun!

Last Saturday I went to the Takeo kiln and made myself a little tea bowl on the wheel. I figure I can't live in a pottery town for a year and never try it. And I can take it home and do tea ceremony in it!

I also went to taiko drumming once a few weeks ago. It was kinda fun, but not really my thing. I got bored and I felt like I was holding back their practice since they're all good and I'm not. Plus I didn't really fit in with the crowd - a group of mainly Japanese construction workers. Although I did enjoy the part when the men took their shirts off. tehe.

My new hobby is knitting. That's right: I am officially an old-maid cat-lady. But seriously it's so entrancing and relaxing and a good way to kill time at home, at work, and on planes and trains. It's also satisfying to create something (as demented as it may look) with just my hands, two sticks and a ball of yarn.

Oh, and I think I figured out why I'd been feeling so congested and miserable lately. I think my allergies gave me a sinus infection. But instead of just pumping my body full of antibiotics, I went to the local acupuncturist. It really worked! Relieved the pressure and my sinses started to drain. It also helped with my general back pain/tension. And only costs $20. Amazing.

Tonight I had dinner with this local high school girl who's going to college in America next year. ( I was introduced to her by a Japanese lady I know who went to college in Indiana, married and divorced an American, and had son whom the ex has never met. Sketchy eh? I helped with her kids' English camp once, back in the fall, and she gave me a free lesson on the koto - a traditional Japanese instrument. But I digress...) So the girl is going to school in Arkansas next year. ("um..I'm sorry...") I hope she'll be ok. This poor shy traditional Japanese girl who hardly speaks English being dropped in the middle of Arkansas. I hope she knows what she's getting herself into... After this year I know all too well what it feels like to be truly isolated and alienated in a strange place and it's no fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home