Monday, March 21, 2005

Shanghai, China

Monday was a national holiday here in Japan, so I went to Shanghai for the weekend.
(despite any minor complaints I may have about my location, the fact that I am an hour from Fukuoka and its international airport is amazing. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to do things like go to China for 2 nights and not miss any work).

Shanghai was great. At the moment it's one of the most exciting and rapidly developing cities in the world. But it also has some really neat historic European architecture from its time as a major international city, with a large foreign population, in the early 20th century.

I had a nice time just walking around looking at the pretty buildings, visiting the fabulous Shanghai Museum of Chinese art, eating good Chinese food, and shopping for cheap DVDs, clothes, purses etc.

There was an earthquake in my town while I was gone. Everything seems fine around here. Though my cat was a bit flipped out when I got home. There've been some aftershocks last night and today. Craziness.

2 Comments:

Blogger W. Mulligan said...

I was just reading your blog and I feel your pain. I'm a teacher in S. Korea. Keep up the good work.

my site: www.hotelcheonan.blogspot.com

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashley - sorry I never post on your website. I find that I spend hardly any time on the internet anymore, it's sort of frowned upon at work. Anyway - I just wanted to tell you how awesome I think you are! This will come out as corny, but I think it's really cool how you love to travel are are really learning about the culture in Japan. Can't wait for Vegas (despite it's cultural void). Best of luck on the rest of your time as a teacher:)

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home