Monday, September 27, 2004

Thailand!

I spent my first 4 nights in Bangkok.
I saw some gorgeous temples - the best were Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Pho.
I also loved Jim Thompson's House - the home of an American silk merchant who lived in Bangkok and built a beautiful traditional Thai house. It's now a museum and houses his lovely collection of South East Asian Art.
The Vimanmek Teak Mansion (a royal residence) was also very nice.
I took a day trip to Ayuthaya - an ancient capital with some amazing 14th century Buddhist ruins.
Did lots of good cheap shopping. Went to this enormous weekend market where they sell everything.
And got some fabulous Thai massages and spa treatments. One at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Spa (considered one of the best in the world). There was also a nice spa in my hotel where, before my massage, they washed my feet in a bowl of warm water and rose petals. wow.
And of course had some very good Thai food.
Then I spent 1night on the island Ko Chang (sort of by accident, because the bus driver took us to the wrong island. but it worked out fine) Ko Chang was very beautiful and quiet. I had a nice bungalow that could not have been closer to the beach. (unfortunately, there were jellyfish). The sunset was amazing.
Then spent 2 nights on Ko Samet, which was a little more crowded and built up, but had some gorgeous beaches. I took a nice boat trip around the island with some fishing, snorkeling, and swimming.
Then back to Bangkok, for a night at the airport hotel, and then on to Hong Kong.
I spent 2 nights in Hong Kong, on my way back to Japan. It's a great city with an amazing skyline and fabulous shopping.
And that was my trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home